3 easy steps to improve your dog breeder web design
Many dog breeders and show dog exhibitors publish beautiful professional photos of their dogs. And many also publish photos taken from their phone and they often look just as amazing as the professional photos.
So please make sure your dog breeder web design reflects and enhances those gorgeous dog photos. I’m focusing on photos here, because they’re so important to marketing your dogs and breeds on a visual medium, your website.
Let’s say a dog breeder has spectacular dog photos and some fantastic dog and breed information for their website. Then it all gets published on some ugly web design that’s been dug up from the 1990s!
Does this matter? It sure does because
- Professional web design will make your photos look great
- Good font choices and design will make you content easier to read
- An easy to read website with great looking photos will engage your website visitors longer
1. Keep your dog breeder web design simple
It’s best to keep things simple. More often than not, good design is knowing what to remove or leave out, rather than what to add.
Here are some simple tips you can use to start improving your dog breeder web design.
- Use no more than two fonts, one for headings and one for body text
- Use a simple and consistent colour palette
- Use white space effectively (ie don’t squish things up!)
Rex01 is the default design that you’re assigned when you get started with Breedpost (you can change it at anytime). It uses a black, grey and white colour palette, two fonts and plenty of white space.
It was designed for readability and to enhance the dog photos.
2. Your website’s navigation should be descriptive and simple
Providing your website visitors with a good navigation experience will ensure they stay on your site longer and have a good experience.
Think about your navigation from the perspective of a website visitor and how they’d like to move around the website. Visitors may be researching breed information, others seeking a suitable stud service or looking to buy a puppy or adult dog.
Design your navigation to make it easy for your target market to find what they need easily and quickly.
Here are some basic principles on how to improve your website’s navigation.
- Have no more than seven navigation items
- Make sure labels are descriptive
- Order your navigation with the most important items on the left and the contact link on the right
Breedpost’s dog breeder web designs use seven main navigation items/main sections, that can be renamed to your liking.
3. Maintain consistency throughout your website
By maintaining website consistency, your visitors will learn how to use the design faster and any confusion will be eliminated. This again increases a visitor’s engagement and improves your online trust and credibility.
Some simple tips to improve website consistency are
- Ensuring navigation is the same across the entire website
- Maintaining page layout consistency, ie all dog page layouts are the same
- Keeping visual consistency, ie fonts and your colour palette
Ready to improve your dog breeder web design?
These are three easy steps that you can do today to improve the design of your website. There are no technical requirements needed. It’s up to you!